My Passion for Fragrances
Today's blog features a special testimonial from Dariel Polanco, an avid collector of fragrances. While, not directly connected to cosmetics, it is interesting to learn how fragrances can help boost your level of attraction and confidence.
With a cologne collection currently standing at 20 fragrances (and counting), people always ask me the same question: “What got you into fragrances?”
Well…It all started with family. As everyone in my family, from my mother, father and sister were passionate about the field of beauty I was destined to continue that trend. However, the challenge early on was to figure out in which area?
I turned to fragrances to answer the call. I personally was influenced to go into fragrances by two people in my life:
- My Father - My dad would put on cologne every day after showering. With the aroma and sillage he had created a force and subconsciously influenced me to be around him. He also received so many compliments every time he wore cologne and headed to a party or a get together with family and friends. I wanted to have that same influence and sex appeal as my father had.
- An old crush - I had a big crush on someone who I used to hangout with and I was finding every way to impress her. One day, she shared a quick tip with me that would help in getting her attention and build attraction with her. She told me “You can dress and look horribly, but if you have a good fragrance on, it is so attractive to a woman since women have a stronger sense of smell than men.” After doing more research on this topic, I noticed that there are many animals and insects that utilize scents to attract new mates as well. Thus, If I wanted any chance to get with my crush, I had to make sure I not only looked good, but also smelled good as well.
Hello everyone, my name is Dariel Polanco and I’m passionate about fragrances. In school, I’m always recommending fragrances to my friends, classmates and even professors. Although many of my peers are open to wearing fragrances, I know there’s a large population of people who are not as passionate about fragrances (and for good reason since it can be an expensive hobby to have!) as I am. Nonetheless, my message is always the same: I recommend that people get into fragrances. In fact, I’ve come up with the top five reasons why I wear fragrances:
- Builds confidence - Many fragrances such as grapefruit, are known to boost people’s confidence level due to their sharp, assertive and intense nature. Thus, if you have an important speech or a job interview that requires you to be self-assured and show conviction, a fragrance can help you in getting there.
- First impressions - When you first meet someone, they will immediately judge you using all five of their senses. Most individuals stimulate most people’s senses (ex. speak well, firm handshake, etc.) when they first meet someone but the one sense that tends to get overlooked the most is the sense of smell. Just as all other senses, your scent communicates confidence, enhances your image and demonstrates good grooming etiquette. That is why I recommend putting on a good fragrance before a first date since it will put you in a great position to build rapport with the other person.
- Evokes a sense of memory - Our sense of smell is directly linked to two key areas of the brain: the amygdala and the hippocampus. The amygdala is primarily concerned with processing smells and is involved in emotions we experience. The hippocampus is connected to our memory centers. In layman’s terms, fragrances trigger strong memories and emotions when the brain processes them. In fact, it is so strong that some researchers are investigating our sense of smell as a way of combating certain diseases that are on-set by age, such as dementia or Alzheimer’s.
- Builds attraction and sex appeal - Fragrances can help to enhance a person’s sex attraction level. As I mentioned above, “You can look and dress horribly … but if you smell good, it is so attractive.” I’ve even met females who have ranked guys from a 2 to a 9 because they were wearing such an appealing fragrance that intoxicated their nostrils.
- Conversation Starter - One thing that I’ve learned is that putting on the right fragrance can immediately be a conversation starter when meeting new people. I’ve been complimented more often for my fragrance than I have for anything else in my life. Wearing the right fragrance can help start a conversation with complete strangers and will help to attract people towards you.
* This Blog was written to provide general information only and should not be seen as a replacement for a professional medical consultation. It is highly recommended to always consult your healthcare provider prior to trying a new treatment or a product.